Mommy Martyr - I - Am

Friday, June 26, 2009

Mumblings of a toddler . . .

a look at yesterday's events through my toddlers eyes . . .

In the morning, I was washing some dishes and I picked up a used knife to wash and he kept telling me “NOOO Mama, don’t wash THAT knife”. I asked him why not and he said “That’s Papa’s knife”. Then, he started to tell me “don’t touch knife. It’s sharp. Danger!” I guess he has been listening to me when I’ve been telling him that he shouldn't touch knives.

Before his afternoon nap, I was reading a book to him and while reading (there was a reference to a mother and son in the story) I told him that he is my son. He told me (very loudly) “NOOOOO, I’m Ashwyn”. I repeated, “Ashwyn, you are my son”. He replied “No sun, Mama. Cloud” while looking out his window to the sky (funny little toddlers :)

Later in the evening, I was cutting up some onions for dinner and he started telling me loudly “Papa cut onions. No Mama, Noooo.” He’d seen my husband cook dinner the past 2 nights, so he assumed my husband is the only one that is allowed to be in the kitchen (that's a brilliant idea too, I thought :). In the past, when he had seen me in the kitchen many days in a row, he would push me into the kitchen and say “Mama, go kitchen”.


Even if we are not explaining things to toddlers, they are doing their own observations and that calls for us (adults) to be even more diligent about our words and actions when we are around them. Little eyes are watching and hearing your every move – that’s a scary little thought! :)

2 comments:

M Michael said...

Very nice blog! :)
Put a smile on my face..

Godbless your family.

Sibz said...

Thank you very much. My little one is pretty amusing at times :)