Mommy Martyr - I - Am

Sunday, June 7, 2009

That's NOT our kid !!!

I see people turning their heads and giving me "the look". I look at my husband and he looks at me and we both are thinking to ourselves that this kid is NOT ours.

I have a toddler who has his own mind and he is not a 'quiet' one. Our toddler has figured out that Mama is not going to be giving him a time-out when we are at the grocery store. My toddler behaves in a certain way at home and another way when we are out. But then again, aren't we all like that? We all have our 'best' behavior and other behaviors. The fact that he is a toddler doesn't exclude him to express himself whether it is loud or angry. I admit, though, it does get to me at times as well, but isn't that what we want our children to excel at - expressions?

At school, our teachers want us to express ourselves through music, art, stories, and other things. So, why am I trying to block out my toddlers expressions instead of paying attention to it? I am trying to teach him how to behave in different places because our society has set the "acceptable" behaviors. It will take time for him to learn the differences and behave appropriately. In the mean time, I'd like to enjoy his innocence and sense of humor that only he has. My toddler is so funny and he says the darndest things that make me say "did he just say THAT?" or "how did he know to DO that?" His innocence is so inspiring and sometimes at a level beyond his age.

To these lookers, I say 'do you expect me to handcuff and tie down my child?' when i'm out of the house? I'm not running an army boot camp...or am I? :)


This is for you my #1 wild thing . . .

Wild thing
You make my
Heart sing
You make
Everything
Groo-vy
Wild thing

Wild thing ... I think I Love you !!!

No comments: