Mommy Martyr - I - Am

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hiss....hiss....my snake encounter!

Though it was a bit hot, what a beautiful today was. The kids and I were at the library for a children’s program and when we got back……THERE IT WAS……. slither……slither….hiss…hiss…. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think, I couldn't believe my eyes! There were two black snakes charging toward my car door at the same time as I opened it to get out. My OH My!!! I freaked out! I froze for one whole millisecond. I knew that I had to do something quick because my two precious little ones were in the back seat. I closed the door as fast as I could and locked it (as if the snake would climb up my car door and open it) but I felt safe knowing that the door was locked. I sat in the car on our driveway and watched the two snakes. I was, to say the least, petrified. Then, one of the snakes moved and I jumped in my car but tried not to scream so that my toddler won’t get scared. I covered my mouth and let out a big whisper scream. I, then, called my dear husband – oh wait! He is 700 miles away – but still I called him (he IS a talented guy BUT could he scare away the snake over the phone? That’s the million dollar question!). As I talked to him, I got the courage to start the car (ya I know, I’m a wussy). Do these snakes think that they scare me and I’m too afraid to walk that LONG walk to the front door? YEP and I slowly backed out of my driveway.

So, now I’m parked on the street and have kept my eyes on the one snake who has decided to take a nap on MY driveway. I wanted to cry and scream and say WHY ME??? Why does a person who is scared of spiders have to face two very long black snakes inches away? Am I a walking Murphy’s Law? And how do I break that… do I keep walking and if so, for how long? I was only half thinking and that’s not a good thing when you are driving. Thank goodness I live in a ‘quiet and safe’ neighborhood. I was scrambling to figure out what to do and I thought this is an emergency (at least for me, it was) and called 9-1-1. The dispatcher ‘tried’ to calm me and told me that the snake must have been out since it’s a hot day and that it will just go on its way.

How long must I wait for his highness to wake up from his nap? Then, I see it slithering away towards my backyard (I think!). I took my eyes off the snake for a second to attend to my baby and then it was GONE! Though I was ecstatic to see it gone, now my worry was, could it be somewhere in my front yard. So, I decided to call one of my neighbors and have him come out and do an inspection before I walked that ever so long walk to the front door. It seems like I spend an eternity in the car but it was only for 10 or 15 minutes.

Will I ever feel 'safe' again in this neighborhood? Will I let my son out to play in the yard? Will I rush and put the house up for sale before my husband gets back in town? Ha ha ! Okay, so I won’t do any of that but I have put myself under house arrest for today and will be a little cautious when we are outside. What an adventure today was for this supermom !

3 comments:

Lekha said...

Jesus!!!!!!! I wouldn't have handled it as bravelly as you did!!! This is the problem with SFH :( But I heard the black ones are not poisonous (though I wouldn't test it out) They are suppossed to be (chara?? not sure) Rat snakes.

Sibz said...

I'm still kind of scared and haven't left my house since yesterday afternoon :)

Suma said...

Siby, I'm pretty sure those were rat snakes or water snakes (maybe), apparently harmless but who can ever look at those slimy creatures and think otherwise? I think once John gets back, you guys can perhaps grow/plant some garlic - the garlic keeps snakes at bay, I am told. Even so, hope you get over ur jitters soon and venture outside :))